MicroFast® wastewater treatment systems are ideal for single family residences. FAST® (fixed activated sludge treatment) is great technology based on environmentally sound and simple scientific principles. It is a hybrid of both attached and suspended growth technologies in an aerobic, packed bed bioreactor.
This proven integrated fixed-film activated sludge combination includes the stability of fully submerged, fixed film media and the effectiveness of activated sludge treatment. This makes the FAST system technologically advanced and extremely reliable. It maximizes the benefits of both technologies while eliminating the disadvantages; and this all into one treatment unit.
- The MicroFast® treatment system processes all of the incoming wastewater.
- Natural separation and settling processes occur prior to entering the bioreactor/treatment module.
- The remote mounted, above ground blower pumps air into the treatment module producing a robust circulation of wastewater through the media’s channeled flow path.
- The fixed film media provides a high surface area to maintain microbial growth during low, average and peak flows. The bacteria become “fixed” (attached) to the media and is consistently maintained.
- Clear and virtually odorless treated water is ready for dispersal- typically via a dripfield (subsurface drip irrigation).
Play movie to see this process:
The submerged media protects against surges and toxic shock loads retaining a healthy bacterial population while minimizing the variability in treatment performance making it an extremely reliable process over a broad range of conditions.
Nitrification and denitrification projects are much easier with FAST® technology. Multiple biological, bio-chemical, chemical and physical processes occur simultaneously within the FAST® wastewater treatment system. MicroFAST® wastewater treatment systems have proven themselves to consistently reduce nitrogen levels – including nitrates and all other nitrogen species – at exceptionally high percentage rates.
In addition to the residential systems, HighStrengthFAST® wastewater treatment systems are also available. These systems are specifically suited for use in high strength applications such as commercial properties, trailer parks, schools and restaurants. Commercial sites can be the most challenging projects as they often have biological loading (BOD) and Fat, Oil, and Grease (FOG) levels that are significantly higher than residential strength wastes.